Friday, October 25, 2013

Phulkopir Jhaal (Cauliflower in Chilli-Mustard sauce)



Probably every Bong is born onto this world knowing how to cook and specially how to cook with Shorshe Bata (Mustard paste). Use of Mustard paste is very common in bengali dishes, specially fish (like Hilsa, Bhetki, Pabda…. I think I should stop here, as I’ll end up making a long list :) ) and eggplants are two commonly chosen ingredients to make jhal, bhapa, or paaturi. But the cauliflower is not generally used with mustard paste. Even I didn’t have the idea that, even cauliflower can blend with mustard paste so beautifully. I found this recipe while reading  an article on Purnima Thakur who gifted us with a rarest collection of recipes of The great Thakur Bari.

I tried this dish few days back and the taste was so good that, I cannot stop myself making it again. So, I thought of sharing this recipe with you all. Hope you will also like it.




Ingredients:
  • 1 medium size cauliflower
  • 2 tbsp of mustard paste
  • Whole green chillies divided (I have used 5)
  • 2 tbsp of mustard oil and extra to add at the end
  • Nigella seeds (Kalojeera)
  • ½ cup of water
  • Salt, as per taste
  • Sugar, as per taste
  • Turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp


Method:
  • At first make a smooth paste of mustard by grinding mustard seeds, chilies (I have used 2) and little water in a food processor.
  • Now heat mustard oil in a pan.
  • Add few nigella seeds and then the cauliflower florets to this hot oil.
  • Fry it covering the pan till light golden brown.
  • Now add salt, turmeric powder, and the mustard paste into it.
  • Mix all the ingredients nicely and cook in high flame for few minutes.
  • Add water and whole green chillies to.
  • Cover the pan and cook in low flame till the florets are cooked properly.
  • Now turn off your gas and little mustard oil into it to complete this dish.
The dish is now perfectly ready to have with steamed rice.



 Note:
I always prefer to sieve the mustard paste adding little water, as it helps to remove the seed coat and reduce the chance of acidity.




 



No comments:

Post a Comment

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...